Industry News - April 2003

— April 01, 2003

ASAP of Georgia Inc. has expanded its operations. ASAP London Ltd., located in Mayfair, London, will assist with the implementation and support of five European Union installations of ASAP software this year.

Bianchi Mare has taken over 95 percent of the shares of Pfaff Industrie Maschinen AG Kaiserslautern, while the Merchant Bank EFIBANCA, Milan, took over the remaining 5 percent. The shares now belong to a holding company set up by the partners, with headquarters in Munich.

Indigo Palms, the denim division of Tommy Bahama, is launching a women's denim collection for spring 2004. Indigo Palms for women will be a relaxed, elegant collection of denim and selected sportswear pieces, appealing to modern, sophisticated, quality conscious women, the company reported.

Jiffy Lube International has selected New York-based Licensing Link Ltd. as its licensing agent. The 7-year-old firm has licensed the Jiffy Lube brand to apparel manufacturers Trau & Loevner, Coastal Concepts and Fun Boxer. Trau & Loevner is distributing a series of 10 T-shirts for young men to two national chains. The shirts feature the red Jiffy Lube logo, known as the "flying J," among Jiffy Lube's other nationally recognized logos. Coastal Concepts is offering Jiffy Lube young men's T-shirts to the specialty store market. These shirts feature the Jiffy Lube logo and "The Well-Oiled MachineSM" advertising slogan. Fun Boxer will carry the car care company's logo on a collection of boxer shorts and loungewear for distribution to all retail channels.

Lectra has opened a service center in El Salvador. In conjunction with the firm's Guatemalan service center, this center will provide Lectra customers throughout the Central American region with access to on-site support from technical specialists on Lectra cutters, plotters and other equipment.

Perry Ellis International Inc. announced an agreement to acquire men's wear firm Salant Corp. for $91 million in cash and stock. Florida-based Perry Ellis said it would pay approximately $52 million in cash and $39 million in newly issued stock for Salant. The deal is expected to generate between $230 million and $250 million in additional annual revenue for Perry Ellis.

Shah Safari Inc. chairman and CEO Raj Shah was presented with the Global Importer of the Year award by CIAe, an Indian government-recognized organization representing more than 5,000 Indian apparel manufacturers and exporters. Seattle-based Shah Safari's brands, including Mecca USA, Alphanumeric, PNB Nation, Reactor+, Raw Edge and Etienne Ozeki, are sold globally through international distributors and U.S. retailers such as Bloomingdale's, Macy's and Fred Segal.

UNIONBAY signed a licensing agreement with Steven Madden Ltd. to create and distribute a collection of men's and boys' footwear under the UNIONBAY label. The new line will reflect a sport/casual influence that integrates the UNIONBAY denim-based sportswear collections. The shoes will feature urban looks and retro designs. The line will debut with this year's fall/back-to-school collection.

Editor's Note: News leads, story ideas and press releases for "Issues & Updates," including event information and personnel news, may be submitted to Tracy Haisley, associate editor, via e-mail: thaisley@apparelmag.com.

POST A COMMENT

RATE THIS CONTENT (5 Being the Best)

12345
Current rating: 0 (0 ratings)

MOST READ STORIES

topicsMore >

APPAREL EVENTS

2015 Apparel West